Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
In this time of even greater need, the safety-net programs and services offered at Senior Friendship Centers are more important than ever. Our incredible staff and volunteers are going above and beyond to care for and protect those who need us. We are delivering meals, making thousands of phone calls, reaching out to partner organizations, providing activities and services in virtual formats, and connecting volunteers with opportunities to help. As the COVID-19 situation evolves, we are ready and able to rise to the challenges that face our community.
Below is a list of local resources and opportunities to help.
Senior Friendship Centers
Main Phone Line: (941) 955-2122
Home Delivered Meals: Sarasota- (941) 556-3208, Desoto/Charlotte- (941) 255-0723, Lee- (239) 236-8684
Activity Center Hours and Information: https://friendshipcenters.org/covid-19-reopening/
Telephone Reassurance Hotline: (941) 556-3208
Caregiver Support Group (call for information about how to video connect): (941) 556-3268
Caregiver Resource Center: (941) 556-3268
Facebook Page/Updates: https://www.facebook.com/friendshipcenters/
Facebook Group – Online Activities, Support Groups, and more: https://www.facebook.com/pg/friendshipcenters/groups/?ref=page_internal
Amazon Wish List/Supply Drive: https://a.co/3OE51hb
Make a Gift to Senior Friendship Centers: (941) 556-3253
SHINE Medicare Counseling: Call the Elder Helpline at (866) 413-5337
Gulfcoast Legal Services: (941) 746-6151
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Current Travel Advisories
- Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Toolkit
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Guidance for Businesses
United Way FREE Hotline
2-1-1 is a FREE service provided by United Way that connects area residents to critical health and social service resources when they need help. From help with a household bill, food assistance, or counseling for suicide prevention, calling United Way’s 2-1-1 helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year-round. Instead of searching the phone book or internet when faced with a crisis, think of 2-1-1 as your first call for help.
People can reach 2-1-1:
Food Service Sites:
All Faiths Food Bank: (serving DeSoto and Sarasota) Provides access to food pantries, the DeSoto Food and Resource Center and more through the Food Finder section of their website.
Feeding Tampa Bay (serving Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas): Provides access to mobile food pantries, mobile markets, a community market and more through the Find Food section of their website.
CareerSource Employment Services: Please call (941) 358-4200 to speak with a Career Coach and discuss your options for virtual job search, workshops and career coaching.
- Unemployment Claims/Benefits: Apply online at connect.myflorida.com and register on employflorida.com. Call (800) 204-2418 for assistance
Job Search: employflorida.com
- Reemployment Assistance Programs
- Florida Unemployment Guide
- U.S. Small Business Administration COVID-19 Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
- U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Partners
- U.S. Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loan Application
- FL DEO Short Time Compensation Program – The Short Time Compensation Program is a voluntary employer program designed to help employers maintain their staff by reducing the weekly working hours during temporary slowdowns instead of temporarily laying off employees.
- Who is hiring in Sarasota?
Companies Hiring for Full-Time or Part-Time Positions:
Door Dash: https://www.doordash.com/dasher/driving-opportunities/sarasota-fl/food-delivery-driver
Grub Hub: https://driver.grubhub.com/
Uber Eats: https://www.uber.com/a/signup/drive/deliver/
Panera Bread: https://jobs.panerabread.com/
Pizza Hut: https://jobs.pizzahut.com/
Domino’s Pizza: https://jobs.dominos.com/dominos-careers/opportunities/in-store
MediLogix Medical Driver: http://www.medilogixllc.com/careers
Capstone Logistics Warehouse Jobs: https://www.capstone.jobs/en-US/
Blake Medical Center: https://careers.hcahealthcare.com/pages/blake-medical-center
Sarasota Memorial Hospital: https://smhjobs.smh.com/job-search-results/
Manatee Memorial Hospital: https://www.manateememorial.com/careers
Venice Regional Bayfront Medical: https://www.veniceregional.com/career-opportunities
Fed Ex: https://careers.fedex.com/fedex/
Wyzant Tutoring: https://www.wyzant.com/tutorhome
Chegg Tutoring: https://www.chegg.com/tutors/become-a-tutor/
Varsity Tutor: https://www.varsitytutors.com/tutoring-jobs
Manatee Chamber COVID-19 Resources
Sarasota Chamber | COVID-19 Resources page
Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Resource Facebook Page
Florida Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus Resource Page
Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Page
Self Care Resources
How You Can Help Senior Friendship Centers Help Thousands of Seniors in Southwest Florida
1. Make a donation. Every program and service we provide requires funding, which largely comes from our donors. An anonymous donor has pledged up to $50,000 so your gift, of any size, can be matched. Please act by May 15 to double your impact! To make a donation or for more information, call 941-556-3205.
2. Help us identify seniors in need in our community. Do you know someone who could use a friendly telephone call or is in need of services? We can help. Our general number for services is (941) 955-2122 and our telephone reassurance hotline is (941) 556-3208.
3. Donate supplies. Many of the seniors we serve cannot leave their homes to find essential supplies such as soap, shampoo, toilet paper, pet food, cat litter, and groceries. We can help. We are accepting supplies at our centers in Sarasota and Venice, and also online. View our Amazon wishlist at http://a.co/87ngkeX
4. Shop with us. As you shop for many of your supplies online, use Amazon Smile and choose Senior Friendship Centers as your nonprofit of choice. We will receive .5% of your purchase back to SFC.
Since 1973, Senior Friendship Centers has helped seniors in our community combat loneliness, isolation, hunger, and more. We are the only safety-net nonprofit serving seniors in Southwest Florida, and we need your help more than ever. We can’t thank you enough for your support.